Stachybotrys is often called black mold. This type of mold is one of the most notorious types of molds because it may grow in a house and is very hazardous to humans. This type of mold is known as a toxic mold as it can produce the toxins that are called mycotoxins.

What Does it Look Like?

Stachybotrys is a gelatinous mold that is greenish black in color. It is often slimy because it has a layer on top that is wet. However, if the water source for the mold runs out it may appear powdery and dry. There are as few types of mold that can resemble black mold. The only way to know for sure if you have Stachybotrys is to have it examined under a microscope by a mold expert.

Symptoms of Toxic Black Mold

The mycotoxins that are formed from toxic black mold can cause people to have many symptoms. Some of the general symptoms that are caused by this type of mold include:

  • Internal organ damage
  • Mucous membrane irritation
  • Hemorrhage
  • Skin inflammation
  • Respiratory problems
  • Suppression of the immune system
  • Nausea
  • Tiredness
  • Mental impairment

Being exposed to stachybotrys can cause serious and permanent health damage. In some extreme cases it can lead to death. Since it can cause serious health effects, if you find this type of mold in your business or your home you will need to take the appropriate steps to have it immediately removed. The longer that you are around this type of mold the more damage to your health it can cause.

If you suspect that you have a mold infestation you should call in a professional to test the mold and to remove it as necessary. Removing toxic mold yourself is not recommended as you want to make sure that you get rid of it entirely.