There is always at least a very small amount of mold everywhere, both in the air and on many everyday surfaces. Most small amounts of mold cause no health problems, but when molds colonize and begin to grow and reproduce rapidly, many potential health problems that arise.

Many people can be exposed to mold for extended periods of time with no noticeably adverse reactions. Others may notice symptoms as minor as a stuffy or runny nose, a minor itch in the back of the throat, or an occasional cough. People with more sever mold allergies may exhibit eye irritation or even rashes on the skin.

The More Serious Side Effects of Mold

More serious health problems can include chronic asthma, obstructive lung disease, or any number of lung infections. Children and the elderly are the most susceptible to health concerns related to mold exposure, and should especially take care when in areas where mold may be growing. Although someone may appear relatively healthy, mold exposure can still have detrimental effects. As well, people that have been immune-compromised are at risk for health effects and secondary infections after exposure to mold.

There are even certain species of mold (such as Stachybotrys chartarum, commonly known as Black Mold or “Toxic” Black Mold) that can potentially be fatal if a person is exposed for an extended period of time to a high enough concentration.

Being Hard on Mold Is Easy!

Fortunately, all of these molds can be removed with relative ease, and there are steps one can take to prevent outbreaks of mold in the future! There are home remedies for the removal of more minor cases of mold, and there are easy methods to ensure mold does not take hold again. Being proactive and anticipatory saves loads of time and money in the future, both in terms of house repairs and medical bills!